fredag 24. mai 2013

Learning to meditate and visualize

Meditation and visualisation





I've only just started to practise meditation. These are my experiences with, and thoughts on, meditation.


My days are hectic and loud. So when the kids are in bed, all three of them ;), I find myself having the need to calm down, find inner peace and calm. Centre myself and clear my head.

I've thougt that meditation means you need to quiet your mind completely by blocking out all surrounding sounds and notions. Like that's gonna happen for me. I can't block out anything, neighter thoughts nor sounds or impressions. So how was I ever going to master meditation?

Then I came across a site on meditation, a guide, that stated that you shouldn't block anything out to concentrate and meditate. You are to let everything in! All sounds and notions and thoughts. Let them come and go as they want, let them float through. Now that I could try. And so I did. 





I sat down on my couch, lights dimmed, and just for a notion of calm and peace, I had lighted a single candle on the table in front of me. I found a comfortable position and closed my eyes. I had read of a breathing exercise that I wanted to try. Breathing in with my nose down to my belly, a deep breath,.. and holding it for 3 seconds, before releasing it through my mouth. I were surpose to do this 3 or more times until I felt the muscles in my body relaxing, All of me relaxing. I needed 3 deep breaths to feel that. And then, I took everything in. I let everything pass through my senses. Little buzzing-sounds from electric gadgets around the room, a car passing by on the outside, a houndred thoughts shooting through my head. Not stopping at or dwelling on any single thought or noise. After a couple of minutes I noticed that my head had quieted down. Thoughts slowed down and came to a stop. And they never do that! Just that was wonderful. The sounds didn't affect me anymore, I stopped noticing them completely, they did not bother me or interrupt me anymore. (Me, I get very easily interrupted by sensations and sounds...) It all became quiet and calm. 

And then came the visions. Images slowly appearing before my inner eye. One at a time, standing still before my closed eyes for several seconds, sometimes minutes. Then fading. But one image caught my attention, and I can still see it before my inner eye. A vision of a woman, with her back to me, and I saw her from the waist up. Pale naked skin, dark brown and long hair. Head turned to her left. Face halfway conceiled by her hair. Beautiful girl. And snowflakes. Falling slowly from above, far apart from eachother, and fairly big (normally big snowflakes). One snowflake landed on the girls bare shoulder. But it didn't melt. It just rested there. Non of the snowflakes that landed on her fair skin or dark hair melted. And it was such a lovely image. It rendered a sence of peace. I carry it with me every day. And I can revisit it when ever I want to. Still I see the vivid colours and details as clear as day. I love that image <3

When I come out of meditation, and I say come out, because it feels like I just return from some place deep inside myself. Not waking up, but coming back up or out or down or where
ever it is from. And I do not decide to come out, I don't make that decision as I meditate. I'm sure you are surpose to or that it works differently for those you are skilled in the "art" of meditation, but I'm brand new at it so maybe it'll come to me, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong ;) Anyhow,.. when I come back out from meditation I feel 100% calm and refreshed in my head. At peace with myself, with my day and my life. I regain the understanding of what is important and not. I've let go of the worries and stress that I don't need. And if I've been too worked up and frazzled to go to sleep before meditating, I now feel tranquil and ready to get some physical rest. 


                                         


Sometimes when I've had trouble sleeping, I usually get frustrated and stressed because I figure I won't get enough rest, and I think about what a waste of my time it is, just laying there. But now, I've had not had that problem for a long time. If I am too worked up to fall to sleep, I'll seize the opportunity to priorities meditation. But I must go straight to bed after meditation, not "I just have to do the dishes before I crawl into bed". That'll get me worked up again, obviosly. ;-) (or if I'm allready in my bed I might try to meditate, but I usually do my reiki then. And that makes me fall asleep after a little while, perhaps too fast ;-)




 



Once I had a "companion" or "visitor" with me all day and night, and I decided to meditate to calm him, and me, down. What happened then was that he showed me some images and visions of himself, amongst other things, he showed me where I was living, trolling the streets I live on, up and down, up and down... While I saw this, clearly as I see my dreams (and I have seriously vivid dreams!), as clearly as you see images on tv,.. or your computer ;) ... I told my husband what I was seeing, my eyes closed and focused on the images given to me. I cannot do that when I sleep. I was fully aware of both the visions, my own voice and my husband being next to me. That was so strange! If it hadn't been for that, and the way I came back and felt afterwards, I might have disregarded it as dreaming,.. falling asleep and dreaming.. But the way I came back; Slowly and firm. And feeling calm and awake. I don't ever feel like that when I wake up. I don't like waking-ups. I wake up suddenly and still feeling sleepy and tired, heart pumping faster. Waking up is not pleasant for me :-P Never enjoyed that part of sleeping, I can tell you. So I know I weren't sleeping or dreaming, because of those two elements. And then there's my husband who saw and heard it all and he says I weren't sleeping as well. Another possible explanation could have been daydreaming, except that I have never been able to daydream with my eyes closed. If  I try with my eyes closed I can't keep my focus on one single image or thought, because my head is thinking and picturing houndreds of things at the same time. I need something to rest and focus my eyes on. So no, I weren't daydreaming eighter, I can assure you. Not that it matters ;-) My mind is a master to search for, explore and come up with alternate possibilities... I'm working on tuning it out and turning it of... But it's a natural respons. I bet several of you do the same ;-)
        


I believe that meditation is a way to connect with you own soul and spirit, and with the universe, your guardians, helpers and other souls and spirits. If you are in search of answers or connections, you might find it here, inside. I believe that every single person and being has an on-going conversation with the universe from within themselves. Not many are aware of it or understands what it is. Conversations in your head, pictures popping up out of nowhere, notions that doesn't feel like your own, a gut-feeling,.. your intuition trying to guide you to do the right thing or refrain from doing the wrong.  

I find it easier to meditate in an up-right sitting position, with no one around to disrupt you.  
Keep the lighting soft or dimmed. You don't need candles, but for me it sets a mood and gives a sence of focus. For me there is peace and solitude in a single candle. 
Close your eyes and take three, or more, breath-exercises. Breath in with your nose, deep breath down into your belly, hold it for 3 seconds, and release through your mouth.
 Let every sound, noise, notion, feeling and thought come and pass. Do not address any of them, just let them float by. (some might find it helpful to listen to soothing music, but I get to engaged in the music so I can't use that..) 
And then the journey within may start =) 
Good luck and enjoy. 


                                           


Love, 
Lene Whimsical


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar